Fish Farming – Ideas For A Beginner
Fish Farming – Ideas For A Beginner – Igwenazor Chinaemerem
1) Tarpaulin ponds offers you the best pond to start with.Its cheaper to put in place and can be set inside a compound with ease as you can miniature the size especially when you are breeding a smaller quantity. It can take 2000 – 5000 fingerlings.
2) You can start with locally produced feed if your funds are meager.
3) To take full control of your new investment, avoid running out of feeds in future. Do your best to stock the volume of fingerlings your funds can carry from day one till maturity.
4) Fish farming needs water, clean water daily. As you are making your plans, check the availability of water near pond. It could be a stream, river or from a borehole. With a standby pumping machine, you are good to go.
5) Go to a trusted breeder for your stock – fingerlings or juvenile. Do not buy them from any source available. Getting your stock from a wrong source can kill your dreams as stunted growths may be many.
6) You must make provision for security. The security is both for human and against other animals that may eat up your stock. Netting your ponds is the best advise. Also keeping an eye on the pond is a plus.
7) Your catfish is ready to hit the market in 90 days [3 months]. However, depending on your target buyers, you can keep them till 120 days [4months]. How you fed them and the brand of feed given plays a major role.
8) Your pond needs treating and fertilizing prior to your stocking your fishes for the very first time. It will not tore your pocket as Lime and poultry waste or cow dungs can do it right.
9) You have to master the following
# Changing the water at a regular interval
# Do not stock above the capacity of your pond – fish does not do well in an over stocked environment
# Feed them appropriately daily
# Sorting would make them grow healthy
10) After moving them from breeders don’t feed them immediately. You allow them to rest for awhile before feeding the next day.
11) For best results in their growth, feed them mostly twice daily – mornings and evenings. You need to learn the signs of when they are satisfied.
12) Your biggest cost in fish farming goes to feeding. It takes about 80% of the total cost.
All these said, you must have an open mind to learn and unlearn along the line as you aim for the biggest positive result.